General Essay Writing
- * A. P. Martinich, Philosophical Writing: An Introduction, 3rd edition.
- * A handout on “Language for Philosophical Writing“. I used this when I taught philosophy to non-native speakers of English; it gives lots of examples of good sentence starters and philosophical language you can use when writing your essay.
- * A published essay of mine on “The Narrative Coherence Standard and Child Patients’ Capacity to Consent“. It’s 1,500 words, so about 50% longer than your assignment, but I hope it gives you an insight into how academic philosophers actually write papers.
* Jim Pryor, “Guidelines on Writing a Philosophy Paper“.
* Peter Horban, “Writing a Philosophy Paper“.
* Angela Mendelovici, “A Sample Philosophy Paper” (an extremely useful Prezi tutorial). Helpfully, this assignment is 997 words which is within the word limit, so it gives you a sense of what can be accomplished within that space. Christopher Anadale has a good YouTube walkthrough of this tutorial (below).
- * Alex Gregory, “How to Write a Philosophy Essay” (a really good step-by-step guide).
- * Alex Gregory, “How to Write Clearly“
- * Kirk also has a video on essay writing specifically for PH133.
* Hampton, J. (1986) Hobbes and the Social Contract Tradition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
* Newey, G. (2014) The Routledge Guidebook to Hobbes’ Leviathan. London and New York: Routledge.
* Springborg, P. (ed.) (2007) The Cambridge Companion to Hobbes’s Leviathan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
* Eggleston, B. and D. E. Miller (eds.) (2014) The Cambridge Companion to Utilitarianism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [ebook, requires university login; opens in new window]
* Smart, J. J. C. and B. Williams (1973) Utilitarianism: For and Against. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
* West, H. R. (ed.) (2006) The Blackwell Guide to Mill’s Utilitarianism. Oxford: Blackwell.